The core values and ideals we are driving at #MYNEWNGR movement as stated from the onset are; HUMANNESS, INTEGRITY and DISCIPLE. We have since began a series on humanness (please check our social media handles for writings), and we are starting a series on the second ideal – INTEGRITY.
What is integrity? According to Microsoft Encarta Dictionary, integrity it is, possession of firm principles: the quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to high moral principles or professional standards.
Going by this definition, it is safe that many, perhaps most Nigerians are lacking in this regard. A friend shared a post with me that we have adapted with some modification for this writing. This is the writing below;
Sadly but succinctly stated: WE BUILT THIS PLACE; by Ademola H. Adigun
- A lecturer wanting 5 rounds (of sex) to pass a female student.
- A policeman demanding N500,000 for bail.
- A judge demanding N5m for judgement.
- A public servant demanding N50m for a contract.
- A voter demanding N5,000 for his/her vote.
- A clergy demanding money for “blessings.”
- A leader(s) close their eyes to corruption and nepotism.
- A parent offering N50,000 for ward’s admission into school or paying for exam questions.
- A society we pay exorbitant and illegal fees because we do not want to follow due process and bypass procedures.
- A nation where everyone wants to show his powers and connection at every and any instance – jumping the queues, facing oncoming traffic and refusing to obey traffic rules because they are military and paramilitary.
- A nation where politicians and their families do not pay taxes or even toll fares, yet they increase taxes for the masses.
- A society rewarding incompetence.
- A society closing its mind to murder.
- A society shutting down common sense.
- A society designed to allow the worst to emerge to the top, in many respects.
- A society that justifies all things in the name of religion, politics, tribe, ethnicity and individual benefit.
- A society that blackmails and ostracise others for difference in thinking.
- A society and nation where my personal interest must be put over and above the communal interests.
- A nation in which we would rather things go up in flames as long as my will and wishes are not done.
- A nation that we have all collectively built.
- One working towards oppressing the other.
- Where impunity is rife.
- Where our default thinking is on wailing.
- Or hailing never a consideration of the issue.
- A society with low or no expectations from their leaders.
- A society in conflict with itself.
- A society where thought is absent.
- That all issues are swept under the carpet depending on who holds the broom.
- And where all things can be covered depending on where the umbrella tilts.
- A society where seemingly educated and respected men run away from speaking out in the face of evil so that they will be seen as saints.
- And clergy keeps quiet as not to offend his political friends and those who spoke speak because they see the other clergy as advantageous.
- A society where evil doers are glorified by men who pretend to be gentlemen.
- A society where men have no regards to the legacy they will leave behind.
- A society where money is preferred to wisdom!!!
We built this place, and we have better fold up our sleeves to join hands together in rebuilding or we shut to either enjoy or endure the nation we have built.
God bless you.
God bless Nigeria.
#MYNEWNGR is a reorientation and not political movement – join our movement (#MYNEWNGR) through the following media;
Facebook: Like our Page; www.facebook.com/mynewngr/ and join our group discussions; https://www.facebook.com/groups/199052160126093/
Invite your friends and share widely with others, especially the youth, and together we shall build and create our own future.